WGVA 106.3FM 1240AMMix 98.5101.7 The WallWFLR Finger Lakes Country Classic Hits 99.3The Lake 100.1/104.5 WAUB 96.3FM 1590AM

Husband & Wife Hospitalized after Camper Explosion


A husband and wife were hospitalized after a camper exploded Monday morning in Onondaga County.

State Police say they received the report of an explosion in the Town of Spafford just before 11:00a.

When troopers arrived at the West Valley Road residence, they found a Chevy Silverado with a camper in its bed which was blown apart.

Firefighters were already on the scene, attempting to clear out the back of the camper where 74-year-old Barbara Hamlin was, under debris with a fractured left ankle.

Police interviewed 75-year-old Robert Hamlin Jr who told them they must have accidentally left the propane tanks attached to the camper and the stove open as he had smelled propane earlier. He believed his wife turned on the stove, causing the explosion.

Robert was standing outside the camper; he suffered burns to his face and was knocked down by the blast. Both were taken via ambulance to Upstate University Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

There was also significant damage to the camper and surrounding area, including damage to the house.

Spafford camper explosion (Provided NYSP)
Get the top stories on your radio 24/7 on Finger Lakes News Radio 96.3 and 1590, WAUB and 106.3 and 1240, WGVA, and on Finger Lakes Country, 96.1/96.9/101.9/1570 WFLR.