Keuka Athletics news release
KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Baseball team ended their 2023 season on a high note, defeating Elmira College 11-1 on Sunday afternoon at Kuhl Field.
Senior Spencer Brown got the start on the mound for Keuka College (9-22, 4-13 Empire 8). Brown threw all seven innings and struck out eight for the win in his last start. Tyler Lewandowski, RJ Murphy, and Brady Booher each had three hits in the game for the Wolves.
Keuka College 11 vs. Elmira College 1 – 7 innings
It would be Elmira College who would strike first. The Soaring Eagles had a pair of two-out singles in the second to leave runners on the corners. Elmira was able to execute a first and third play to allow a runner to steal home and take the 1-0 lead.
The Wolves answered right back in the bottom of the inning. RJ Murphy led off with a single and moved to third on a double by Matt Vaccaro. Josh Tryon grounded to short and Elmira tried to get Murphy out at the plate. The junior made an acrobatic slide to avoid the tag and score to tie the game.
Keuka College continued to attack the next inning. Shane Daley and Tyler Lewandowski both singled to start the frame. After moving up on a sacrifice bunt by Kole Schmerder, the duo scored on a single by Nolan Quinn to take a 3-1 lead. Quinn wasn’t on base long as RJ Murphy tripled to score Quinn and then he came home himself on a sacrifice fly by Matt Vaccaro giving Keuka a 5-1 advantage.
The lead would be more than enough for Brown. The senior allowed only one hit and struck out four over the final four innings to hold Elmira down.
The Wolves added a run on an RBI double by Brady Booher in the fifth and scored two runs in the sixth on a pair of wild pitches.
Keuka loaded the bases with no outs in the seventh with a Booher single in the middle of two walks. Tyler Lewandowski delivered a one-run single to make it 9-1. A run would later score on a wild pitch. The game ended on the bat of RJ Murphy as the junior singled with the bases loaded to score Lewandowski and give the Wolves the 11-1 Empire 8 victory.
- Keuka College leveled its all-time series with Elmira College. The Wolves are 8-8-2 against the Soaring Eagles
- 11 runs for the Wolves tied their season-high
- RJ Murphy hit his fourth triple of the season, moving into a tie for fourth on the single-season list
- Spencer Brown finishes his career at Keuka College with 117 strikeouts, second-most in a career in program history
- As a team, the Wolves’ pitching staff struck out 205 batters, tying last year’s squad for second on the single-season team list
- It was the first career three-hit game for Tyler Lewandowski
- RJ Murphy finished the season with the team lead in hits with 35. Both he and fellow junior Matt Vaccaro were the only players to start all 31 games for the Wolves this season
- Nolan Quinn finished the year a perfect 12-12 in stolen base attempts. The junior tied for fourth on the single-season list. His 12 steals is the most in a season by a Keuka College player since the 2010 season.