By Mackenzie Larson, HWS Athletic Communications
GENEVA, N.Y.—The third-ranked William Smith College lacrosse team cruised to a 24-2 victory over Bard in a Liberty League contest on Boswell Field at David J Urick Stadium this afternoon. With the win, the Herons are now 13-0 on the season and a perfect 7-0 in Liberty League play.
First-year Hannah Evans led William Smith, recording a career-high five goals. Junior Emily Griffin and first-year Taryn Luzi each had two goals and two assists, finishing the game with four points each. Senior Maddie Montgomery and first-year Natalie Daniels had four draw controls each. Montgomery joined Elizabeth MacMurray and Anna Suter with a game-high three caused turnovers each. Junior Madison Dicks made her first collegiate start. She played all 60 minutes and made one save.
Four different players recorded a point for the Raptors (1-9, 0-4). Martha Pasatiempo and Lexie Blackburn split time in goal. They combined for nine saves. Sarah Child had a game-high six draw controls.
- William Smith finished the contest with a 43-4 edge in shots, including a 33-3 edge in shots on goal.
- The Herons held a 24-7 advantage in ground balls and a 17-12 edge in the draw circle.
- William Smith was 12-for-12 clearing the ball and Bard was 4-for-14 on its clearing attempts.
- William Smith’s 24 goals in today’s game are tied for the eighth most in a game program history. The Herons assisted on 14 of those tallies, fourth on William Smith’s single-game list.
- In total, 14 different players scored a goal and 16 players recorded a point.
- The Herons are 13-0 for the first time since 1995.
INSIDE THE GAME
- Prior to today’s game, William Smith honored its five seniors, who were playing their final regular season home game on Boswell Field.
- Fittingly enough, the seniors powered William Smith to an early 3-0 lead. Payton McMahon sandwiched a pair of goals around Maddie Montgomery’s 47th goal of the season. With the goal, Montgomery has points in 28 straight games.
- Junior Allie McGinty set up McMahon’s first goal to extend her points streak to 34 games.
- Senior Kailin Pellechia had a hat trick in the first half, including two goals in the first quarter. She has a career-high 26 goals and 30 points this season.
- Juniors Maddie Schleicher and Griffin scored woman-down goals 26 seconds apart to give William Smith a 10-goal lead after 15 minutes.
- In the second quarter, Evans and MacMurray led the charge, scoring two goals each. MacMurray’s goals were her first two tallies of the season.
- First-year Taryn Luzi opened the third quarter with her second and third goals of the season. Sophomore Tabitha Weier logged her first collegiate point, setting up Luzi’s first goal.
- Evans continued her career day, recording a hat trick in the second half.
- First-years Ashlyn McPartlon and Jessica Finnerty recorded their first collegiate goals in the fourth quarter. Both were woman-up goals. Finnerty recorded her first collegiate point with an assist on Evans’ fifth goal of the game.
William Smith will be back in action next Friday, April 21, when it begins a three-game road trip against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The game is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.