Now is the time for residents in Schuyler, Yates, and Steuben counties to nominate a woman who they feel is making an outstanding contribution to their communities for the state Senate’s 26th annual “Women of Distinction” program. State Senator Tom O’Mara is seeking nominations for the Senate’s 26th annual “Women of Distinction” program to honor local women making outstanding contributions to area communities. O’Mara and his Senate colleagues annually select a “Woman of Distinction” honoree from their respective legislative districts.
“The ‘Woman of Distinction’ tribute is a meaningful recognition. I look forward to this annual opportunity to recognize an outstanding area citizen,” said O’Mara, whose 58th Senate District encompasses all of Yates, Schuyler, Steuben, and Seneca counties. “We all know someone who makes an enormous difference to the community at large. Whether she is a service provider, a law enforcement officer going above and beyond the call of duty, a teacher, a business leader, or simply a community resident known for her good deeds, I’d like to see her recognized.”
Nominations can be submitted online at www.omara.nysenate.gov.
Senator O’Mara’s past “Women of Distinction” honorees have included:
- Virginia “Ginny” Houseknecht of Watkins Glen, a longtime area Cornell Cooperative Extension educator and leader, and founder of the Southern Tier Parkinson’s Disease Support Group;
- Beverly “Bev” Stamp, co-owner and operator of Lakewood Vineyards in Watkins Glen, a long-time and beloved ambassador of New York State’s nationally and internationally renowned wine and grape industry;
- Lauren R. Snyder, a public health professional from Penn Yan who served as the Yates County Public Health Director for 28 years before retiring in 2009;
- Dawn R. Smith, Transition and Care Management (TCM) Program Manager at the Bath VA Medical Center and a well-known local veterans advocate;
- Carmella Hoffmann, Owner and Operator of Sunset View Creamery in Odessa;
- Natasha Thompson, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Food Bank of the Southern Tier