The former Bowling Alley located at 22-26 Virginia Street in the Village of Waterloo is being demolished by the Finger Lakes Regional Land Bank Corporation.
The abandoned building, originally constructed around 1940 operated as a bowling alley for many years before turning into a bar and various other businesses prior to being vacated and falling into abandonment. The building was last in use during the late 1980s. The Finger Lakes Regional Land Bank Corporation purchased the property in early 2018 with the intent of demolition.
When completed, the Land Bank will transfer the property to the Village for use as a public space.
The recently completed Downtown Market Analysis identified a possible use of the site as a gathering area known as “Waterloo Lane” which could host farmers markets, outdoor concerts, or other public events associated with the revival of downtown. Public space at the property will also provide a direct pedestrian connection between Virginia Street and the Waterloo Shoppe Center entrance. As part of the Downtown Market Analysis, the firm In-Site Architecture created the rendering of the Waterloo Lanes concept which shows a potential designs and uses.
The demolition of the Bowling Alley is part of a wider efforts being led by the Village of Waterloo to revitalize downtown. Block buildings are currently being renovated to eventually contain new businesses and modern apartments by private developers with support of the Village.