Volunteers from the American Red Cross are operating several shelters for residents affected by ongoing flooding impacting several communities throughout the region. Residents are welcome to either stay at the shelters or stop by the facilities, as volunteers are providing food and water, comfort and support.
Watkins Glen Central High School
301 12th St.
Ovid Federated Church
7137 Main St.
A shelter location opened Monday night at New Beginnings United Methodist Church in Elmira has closed.
The Red Cross remains in constant communication with Emergency Management Officers throughout the 26 counties served by the Western and Central New York Region. Other shelter locations are on standby and will open as necessary.
People can download the Red Cross Emergency App for instant access to flood and other disaster safety tips, as well real-time weather alerts and a map of shelter locations. Expert medical guidance and a hospital locator are included in the First Aid App. Both apps are available to download for free in app stores or at redcross.org/apps.
Anyone evacuating to a Red Cross shelter should bring essential items for each member of the family:
- Prescriptions and emergency medications
- Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements
- Extra clothing, hygiene supplies and other comfort items
- Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys
- Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
- Chargers for any electronic devices you bring with you
- Books, games and other ways to entertain your family and yourself