Law enforcement agencies in Cayuga County conducted an alcohol compliance check on Friday. Sheriff’s Detective Lt. Brian Schenck tells Finger Lakes News Radio it was the first check in several years.
Det. Lt. Schenck worked with the Cayuga County Drug Free Community Coalition, and five teenage volunteers attempted to by alcohol at 44 establishments.
The clerks and bartenders who sold alcohol to the minors were charged with with first-degree unlawful dealing with a child, which is punishable by up to a year in jail, three years probation or a $1,000 fine. Some were also charged with violating the state’s Alcohol Beverage Control Act:
- Cody Humberstone, 26, Colonial Inn, Meridian
- Benjamin Tanner, 25, Cato Hotel, Cato
- Michael Bettis, 52, Cornerstone Inn, Red Creek
- Winifred Murphy, 72, Village Market, Aurora
- Terri Green, 68, Wilcox General Store, King Ferry
- Sean French, 26, Speedway, Grant Ave., Auburn
- David Kukella, 52, Jake’s Discount Liquor, Auburn