No one was home, but firefighters say 30 cats and one dog were inside a Brace Road residence in the town of Victor when it caught on fire Wednesday afternoon.
A passing motorist called 9-1-1 after seeing smoke coming from the two structure home. Strong wind gusts, sleet and snow hampered firefighters efforts to extinguish the blaze. They were able to rescue the dog and 4 injured cats from inside. The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen and then spread.
A woman, the sole occupant of the residence, is receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.