A gas leak at the Geneva City School District Carter Road complex Wednesday night was resolved without incident.
The leak, which occurred at about 10:30 was caused when a small custodial vehicle bumped a gas line in the middle and high school kitchen, causing it to break. Only the evening cleaning crew was present in the building at the time. The Geneva City Fire Department and NYSEG immediately responded, the gas was shut off and the line capped. The amount of gas released was not enough to be a risk.
To prevent a similar occurrence in future, the district plans to install sensors that will automatically shut off the gas in the event of a leak, as well as flexible lines that will resist breakage.