August 1, 2012 – The Board of Trustees of DeSales High School in Geneva announced today that the high school will not re-open for the coming 2012/13 academic year due to declining enrollment and insufficient funds to continue operations. The decision to close the school was made at a special meeting of the board July 31.
"We are saddened by this decision but we must make it given all the circumstances," said Peter Cheney, board chairman. "The decision to close DeSales was not made lightly, but through the hard work, objective analysis and heartfelt prayers of all of us on the board who dearly love this school. We wish to thank all those who have supported and sustained us these many years – the community as a whole, our generous donors, our families, our students and our staff. The memories we have of DeSales and its impact on our lives and the lives of many will live in our hearts and minds forever."
Photos by Greg Cotterill, Finger Lakes News Radio
Cheney added that the school tried many different means and public appeals to draw new students and additional resources, but efforts fell short of the minimum required to sustain the school now and into the future.
The DeSales school and property will revert to Our Lady of Peace Parish because of its role in the school’s founding.
DeSales originated in 1912 as an extension of St. Francis DeSales Elementary School, moving to its present site by 1930. Initially, DeSales was staffed by the priests of St. Francis DeSales and St. Stephen's churches, along with the Sisters of St. Joseph. In more recent decades, a dedicated staff of professional educators sought to continue the school's tradition of excellence.
Over the last 100 years, more than 5,000 young men and women have graduated from DeSales, many of them distinguishing themselves professionally and in service to their families, communities, and nation, in large part thanks to their DeSales education.