NEWS10NBC is reporting that an employee of McDonald's in Wayne County, who was fired because he reported a gas leak at the restaurant, will receive a settlement of $10,000 from Warren-one Inc, which owns the McDonalds where the part-time employee worked.
According to the report, the employee told his superiors about the leak, but when no action was taken he called the Lyons Fire Department. The restaurant was closed for one day in order for repairs to be made and the employee was fired by his two supervisors that same day.
The Attorney General's Office found the employer was in violation of Section 740 of the New York State Labor Law that does not allow employers to retaliate against an employee for filing a report concerning health or safety issues. Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said the employee should have been thanked not fired.