Understanding Landowner Liability Issues
Saturday, September 29 2012 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Understanding Landowner Liability Issues: Liability, Posting, and Trespass
Saturday, September 29, 2012
9:00am – Registration
9:30am – 12:30pm – Workshop
Yates County Office Building Auditorium
417 Liberty Street
Penn Yan, NY
Yates County Cornell Cooperative Extension and the Master Forest Owner Volunteers will host a workshop on understanding landowner liability issues. This workshop will explore the responsibility and liability of landowners for the actions of a trespasser, hunter, invitee, and other types of people who may access your property. This workshop will provide information about the laws of New York and give guidance on how to proceed with enforcement through local authorities.
This workshop presents an opportunity to have all your questions answered by qualified experts.
Featured Presenters Include:
David Colligan, attorney at law and partner at Watson Bennett Colligan & Schechter of Buffalo, NY, will cover the following topics:
· Current landowner liability case law;
· Posting your property;
· Providing permission to people to hike, hunt, or ride ATV’s on your land;
· Liability toward trespassers versus people who are allowed to be there;
· Right-of-ways; and
· Ponds, swimming, and attractive nuisances.
Matt Lochner, Environmental Conservation Police Officer, and Ed Nemitz, Sergeant with the Yates County Sheriff’s Department will cover the following topics:
· What to do when you suspect a trespass;
· How to report a trespass;
· How to approach a potential situation on your property; and
· Personal experiences and lessons learned.
Workshop fee: $10.00 per person includes presentations, refreshments, and expert answers to your questions. Pre-registration is required.
Please call with questions and pre-registration: Yates County Cornell Cooperative Extension 315-536-5123