Student athletes from high schools in Cayuga and Onondaga counties will be among those honored at Monday night’s Section III Athlete Awards Dinner at the SRC Arena on the campus of Onondaga Community College.
The dinner celebrates the accomplishments of the section’s top scholar-athletes and recognizes the achievement of each student. The best male and female scholar-athletes from each of the 105 schools within Section III are honored at this event with plaques and certificates. In addition, over $20,000.00 in college scholarships will be awarded to the outstanding high school student-athletes.
The Section III Scholar Athlete Award is the highest academic honor bestowed by the organization. To be eligible for selection, student-athletes must have maintaining a cumulative grade point average of 90% or better, and have participated in varsity competition in a Section III sponsored sport. Other factors such as community service, exemplary citizenship or other extracurricular activities are taken into consideration.
Thirty-one of the 172 Scholar Athletes are ranked #1 in their class and 133 are ranked 10th or higher in the respective class.
Since the inception of this award in 1988, over 3350 students have been recognized with this tribute.
LOCAL AWARD WINNERS
- Emma Clark, Hunter Duger — Auburn High School
- Miranda Myhill-LaForce, Logan Carnicelli — Cato-Meridian High School
- Theresa Dristle, Hugh Schader — Jordan Elbridge High School
- Amanda Chutley, Benjamin York — Port Byron High School
- Nicole DeRosa, Nicholas Rathgeb — Skaneateles High School
- Mya Maloof, Alex Rudick — Weedsport High School