Three people were displaced by a fire at an apartment house at 1456 County Road 6 in the town of Phelps late Wednesday afternoon.
Firefighters from Phelps, Oaks Corners, North Side and Border City responded to the single-story, multi-family structure and brought the blaze under control in about 40 minutes. Three adults from two apartments were able to escape safely and no firefighters were injured. The structure was heavily damaged and unable to be occupied.
A preliminary investigation indicated the fire originated at the electrical stove from unattended cooking.