A barn on Baker Road in the town of Milo was completely destroyed by fire early Wednesday morning.
Firefighters were called to Dexter and Faith Benedict’s home just after 5 o’clock. Investigators say Faith was awakened by her dog barking and when she looked out the window, the barn was fully engulfed. Firefighters were unable to save the barn but were able to save several buildings near it. It appears a small propane leak located an ignition source and started the fire.
The Penn Yan Fire Department received mutual aid from Bellona, Benton, Branchport/Keuka Park, Dundee, Himrod, Tyrone and Wayne all at the scene. The West Lake Road Fire Department set up a fill site to fill tankers at the Horizon Business Park. Potter and Watkins Glen firefighters provided standby for Penn Yan and Dundee, respectively. Penn Yan Ambulance also stood by at the scene.