There’s a new toxin that’s shown up in water samples from Owasco Lake. The Cayuga County Health Department in a release sent on Sunday says homo-anatoxin was found in test samples taken from the Indian Cove and Buck Point areas. In addition, microcystins continue to be found in samples taken from harmful algal blooms in shoreline areas.
Microsystins and homo-anatoxins are harmful to animals and humans if ingested at high concentrations. Health Department Director Kathleen Cuddy reminds you if you take your water directly from the lake do not drink untreated water. In-home treatments, such as boiling, disinfecting water with chlorine, or ultraviolet radiation and water filtration units, do not remove the toxins associated with harmful algal blooms.