On Tuesday, Aug. 15, 2017, at 102 years young, our loving God and Savior called mother home. Born on Nov. 1, 1914, daughter of Anna Grace (Miller) and W. Lee Badman, Elsie Grace grew up on the Badman farms along the west side of Skaneateles Lake south of New Hope. She was educated in a one room schoolhouse through 8th grade; then sent to Moravia to board throughout her high school years, graduating at age 16, valedictorian of her class. Elsie aspired to become a French and Latin teacher, and in the fall of 1931 she entered Syracuse University, but intensive study compromised her eyesight. After a period of healing, it was suggested she pursue a nursing degree instead. In 1935, Elsie entered training at Auburn City Hospital School of Nursing, earning her RN degree in 1938, and then completing graduate studies in pediatrics at Children’s Hospital, Philadelphia, and Columbia University, New York City. She returned to Auburn to teach and supervise student nurses. It was one of Elsie’s pupils, Eleanor Casey, who introduced Elsie to her brother, Clare, and the rest is history. It was 1942, the U.S. had entered World War II and Clare, her fiancé, enlisted. But the War Manpower Commission decided that Elsie was “essential and indispensable” in her teaching and supervisory position, so she was to remain stateside. The troops came home in 1945, and their wedding followed April 17, 1946. Within three years, they had two daughters, and built a new home on the 700-acre Springbrook Farm in Weedsport, N.Y. Clare and brother, Charles, ran the dairy, and Elsie, the egg business, managing 3,000 laying hens. As the girls grew and the egg business dwindled, her heart coaxed her back into nursing, eventually supervising The Gibson House Nursing Home in Weedsport. Retirement came in the sixties, and Elsie and Clare spent the next 25 winters as snowbirds in Florida and traveling the country in their Airstream with the Wally Byam Club. In 2005, Elsie lost her beloved husband. She moved to the Wesley Health Center in Saratoga Springs and had been a resident there for more than 12 years, enjoying family and cultural events, being known, admired, and loved by staff and residents alike. For her 100th birthday the grandchildren created a Centennial Rose Garden in her honor on the Wesley Campus for all to enjoy. Through the years, Elsie loved to cook and bake, sew and knit, sing, preserve fruits and vegetables, and garden, earning her “handle” as “Posy Girl.” She was among few people who could tat, and very proud of the edgings she created. Elsie was a 77-year lifetime member of the Order of the Eastern Star. She belonged to First United Methodist Church in Weedsport for 70 years, serving on numerous committees and as Sunday school superintendent. Elsie was also active in several farm and community organizations.
Predeceased by her sister, Myrtle Badman Dewitt, and brother, Carlton J. Badman, she is survived by her brother, Curtis W. Badman, of Skaneateles. Mom will be greatly missed by daughters, Elaine Shepherd Lane and husband, Richard, of Galway, and by Joyce Shepherd Compson and husband, Loren, of Queensbury. “Grandma Elsie” seemed eternal to her grandchildren, Keith A. Compson and wife, Becky, and their three sons, Seth, Evan, and Kyle; to Christopher L. Compson and wife, Becki, and their two daughters, Quinn and Faye; to Maria Compson Whitney and husband, Brian; to Kate Lane Jarosh and husband, Drew, and son, Isaiah; and to Richard L. Lane and wife, Jacqueline. Mother was our pillar of strength and faith and inspiration. Her legacy is eternal, and her love and memory will forever live in our hearts.
Services will take place at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 19, at White Chapel Funeral Home, 2719 Erie Drive, Weedsport, with calling hours from 9 to 11 a.m. prior to the service. Interment will follow in Weedsport Rural Cemetery.
Memorial contributions in Elsie’s name may be sent to Eastern Star Home, P.O. Box 959, Oriskany, NY 13424; Weedsport First United Methodist Church, 2744 East Brutus St., Weedsport, NY 13166; The Community Hospice of Saratoga, 179 Lawrence St., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866; or The Wesley Foundation, 131 Lawrence St., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866, to aid in upkeep of the gardens on the Wesley Campus.